Sunday, March 14, 2010

Work Day in the Garden

Finally! I feel like I'm getting somewhere on the garden! Over the winter I did a lot of research. I came to the conclusion that what I needed to do was use the Square Foot Garden method. I love this method. It is basically raised beds and intensive planting. There is so much more to it though. Not that it's hard to understand, just more to fall in love with. I used to help my dad garden when I was little and I hated all the weeding and tilling and pulling and heat and watering. This method eliminates 80% of that with the same or more yield. I highly recommend you check out the book, The Square Food Garden, from the library or the video if you are thinking of gardening. Today we used all the scrap wood lying around from the previous owners and made two 4X4 boxes. We did have to go to Lowe’s and pick up some more wood. So far I've spent $20 in lumber, $25 in seeds, and maybe another $10 in miscellaneous supplies for my garden. For free and little elbow grease I've got compost from the race track, pallets to make a compost bin out from the dumpster down the street, wood lying around the yard to make boxes, part of a wire fence to fence in the garden, news papers out of recycle bins around the neighborhood for weed block and screws left over from another project to make the boxes. We managed to finish the compost bin, make four boxes and partially fence in the garden with the wire fence we found. I'm so excited! I can't wait until March 28. That's when the Farmer's Almanac said the danger of frost is over. Of course I'll watch the news to be sure, but that's when I'm shooting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment