Friday, June 17, 2011

Passion Horse Rescue

I am so sore, sunburned and exhausted.  I took the opportunity while in Dallas to visit with a friend who volunteers at a horse rescue.  I use the word "visit" lightly.  Yesterday I helped put up part of a new fence, hauled feed sacks, wormed horses and walked about 100 miles following the hay tractor to open and close gates for it.  I had a BLAST!!!!!  I'm not being sarcastic in the least.  Really I'm not....you should know me better by now.  Ok it still sounds sarcastic but I'm not being sarcastic.  I loved working with Sara and Deb out on the ranch.  I loved getting to meet some of the most special horses in the world.  I learned so much about horse behavior and sadly about the dark side of human behaviour.  Passion Horse rescues, primarily, PMU horses.  PMU is short for Pregnant Mare Urine.  It's the main ingredient in a popular menopausal hormone replacement drug (name brand Premarin).  Yep!  Horse pee.  I won't go into the grizzly details of the plight of these horses.  You can google that and depress yourself on your own.  I will tell you of the great work that Passion Horse is doing.  I can tell you that the horses in their care are receiving all the love, training, and nourishment they require and deserve.  I can tell you I tried to stuff a 2 month old draft horse named Moose in the back seat of my car.  Well that would be a lie, but I was trying to work out the logistics in my brain.  At one point I was trying to calculate how long it would take to WALK him back to Oklahoma.  That's just how darling this baby is.  You can see pictures of him on their website.  http://www.passionhorse.com/  He's on the home page under newcomers.  His real name is Bullseye.  You can also see other horses they have for adoption along with stories of heartbreak and triumph.  I know like me, most of you can not afford a horse right now...or maybe ever.  but if you have a couple of bucks to donate on their website, or for you Dallasites even a couple of hours to get some fresh air and hammer a few nails in the new fence they could probably use some volunteers too.

I just thought I was getting out of chores this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment