Monday, March 28, 2011

Home Security

We have a need on the farm.  We need security.  Not like financial or emotional , or spiritual, but actual physical security.  I mean we are out in the middle of no where.  Granted there are not many people here in no where, but there also aren't that many law enforcers either.  On top of that we have the whole livestock security need.  Between mountain lions and hawks, our animals...and children just aren't safe.  There are a couple of ways we could go.  We could install a hi tech security alarm system and pay for monthly monitoring.  But I'm pretty sure they don't monitor our chickens for hawk predation.  So we went another way.  A tried and true way.

Meet Smith and Wesson:
















These dogs are not pets.  These are Livestock Guardian Dogs.  They are 1/2 Pyrenees, 1/4 Anatolian, and 1/4 Akbash.  They have been breed to protect home, land, family, and animals.  Already this morning their breeding is evident.  Shortly after walking them around the perimeter of the property, a pack of dogs approached.  These two took off barking and stopped at the fence line.  They could have easily gone through, but didn't.  They are incredibly intelligent resourceful animals and I'm excited to see them grow and prosper at their jobs.  I'm a little anxious also.  As I said, these guys are not pets.  They can not be treated like pets or they won't do their job.  I have to wrap my preconditioned mind around the idea that doing their job makes them happy.....not intereaction with me.  It doesn't mean we can't pet and love them.  It just means they have to be on their own most of the time and not inside learning to roll over and shake.  By the way, I want to give a special thanks to the Weeks family for these guys.  Their puppy manners are exceptional.  I don't think I've ever met a calmer, more polite puppy.  YES, they're puppies.  Their only 3 months old.  YES they will be huge.....the better to fend off mountain lions with my dear!

Smith (aka the big one):
 Wes (aka the small one):

Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment