Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Brutality of Nature

I've noticed a lot of things I never noticed since moving to the farm.  But I witnessed something yesterday that brings the reality of the natural world right in my face.  The chicks are so cute, and fuzzy and fun to watch, but they are animlas, driven by animal instincts that I"m not sure anyone understands completely.  Somehow, one of the chicks broke its foot.  Still scratching my head on that one.  Since it couldn't move, get away, or defend itself, the others attacked it.  Charis saw the injured chick first and couldn't make out what was wrong with it.  I sent her out and set out to rescue it.  It had been pecked all over and it's middle toe was grotequely deformed.  The others had shown no mercy.  It was cold, wet and bleeding.  I got it seperated and under a heat lamp with a bolus of honey.  He's recovering on the Dominique side of the brooder now.  I'm not sure how to feel about it.  On one hand it's terrifying that living creatures could to that to one another.  On the other, picking on the little one comes natural to many of Gods creatures.  I wish I could feel passionate either way, but I don't.  I just feel....both.  Is that how a farmer is supposed to feel?

No comments:

Post a Comment